Saturday, July 26, 2008

DIY: Anzacs

I only recently realized that I there was one cookie (or biscuit, in this case) that I loved beyond all others: the Australian Anzac. I hadn't even thought of it in well over six years, due to living in a country where no one knows just what on earth it is. After searching high and low and in between for a retailer that sold them, it became clear that if I wanted to partake of Anzacs again, I would have to tackle it in true Do-It-Yourself fashion (which explains why a food entry, of all things, has been given the venerable DIY tag).

After much experimentation and internet research, along with helpful tips from my mate over in Perth, Australia, this is my alternate recipe. I say alternate because it's near impossible to find golden syrup here in the States.

Ingredients:

1/2 Cup of Flour
1/2 Cup of Sugar
1 Cup of Coconut Shavings
1 Cup of Rolled Oats (Quaker Oatmeal works just fine, just make sure it's not the instant kind)
3 Ounces of Butter
1/2 Tablespoon of Light Corn Syrup
1/2 Tablespoon of Honey
1/2 Teaspoon of Baking Soda
3 Tablespoons of Boiling Water


Instructions:

1. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl (Flour, Sugar, Coconut Shavings, Rolled Oats)
2. Melt the butter, Light Corn Syrup, and Honey in a frying pan
3. Mix the Baking Soda into the Boiling water, then add that to the frying pan
4. Pour the contents of the pan into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix thoroughly
5. Divide the mix up into small balls and arrange them on a greased tray (I just used Pam non-stick spray)
6. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-15 minutes (individual ovens may vary)
7. After removing from oven, let cool, and eat
8. Start talking like an Australian for that authentic flair

No comments: